Text & photographs have been created by me, unless otherwise acknowledged. Please ask for permission before copying or reproducing my photographs.

Monday, October 26, 2009

Carving Time

Can you believe that it will be Halloween in just five days? Just yesterday I was headed to the beach for some sun.......at least it seems like it was just yesterday!

Speaking of yesterday, it was a little overcast and chilly. Quite a change from the almost 80 degree days that we had last week. So, with fall in mind, hubby suggested that we go pumpkin picking.

Hubby, the dog and I decided to take a ride up the street to one of those mom and pop style nurseries. They had some great fall flowers, decorations and of course, pumpkins for sale. Pupster was excited to be able to go along (he loves to ride) and so he was the first one out of the car when we arrived. He sniffed a few flowers and bushes, but what he really wanted to do was check out the big black lab that was in the truck at the front of the parking lot. Hubby set us to task and we went about picking out just the right pumpkin. After that, I was free to roam about the flowers and I picked out a beautiful pot of mums for the front stoop.

Now, at this particular nursery, you could guess the weight of your pumpkin to try and win it. Hubby took his best guess and said 16.75 pounds. Well, he was close......the pumpkin was a little over 18 pounds, but he wasn't close enough. You only had a half pound error rate. Still, it was fun to try and guess. We paid for our pumpkin and headed home.

A few years back I bought one of those carving sets with intentions on using it the following year. Well, things happen and four years later I'm finally using it. We spread everything out on the back table and went to work on the pumpkin. Now I know why that sucker weighed 18 pounds........the inside is so THICK! And, as gross as the inside of a pumpkin is, we still had fun pulling out the guts. So, the end result is:

Cross Stitch 142



Here it is all lit up:

Cross Stitch 143



Even the pupster got into the act last night:

Cross Stitch 148


Can you tell that he is patiently waiting to help hand out candy?

My halloween spirit really grew......I even started and finished this quick design. I still need to iron it and put on three buttons before I send it off to the framer.

Cross Stitch 150

All in a Moon
by Miss Crescent's Crowne
30ct Bitter Betty Brew
by R&R Reproductions
Tonight I hope to get more work done on my HAED's "Little Bo Peep". She's been quite neglected as of late and I would really like to get her done before the end of the year.
Happy Stitching!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Beautiful pumpkin. Handsome dog. Kind of nice day to do something like that. Girls had fun pulling stuff out of pumpkin too. LOL ~ Dawn ~

Laural said...

Awesome pumpkin! I've always just painted them because I can paint a lot better than I can carve. By better I really mean that I can paint and I can't carve.

Great finish! I haven't seen that pattern before and it's really cute.