It was the craziest thing. I was sitting at my desk responding to an email when I noticed the building shaking. I really thought I was having an episode with my equilibrium like I did over the weekend, but then I heard everyone else freaking out. It was only 30 seconds, but it was the longest 30 seconds of my life!
All I can say about the whole episode is that I never want to do that again!
And if an earthquake was not enough, most of us on the east coast are closely watching Hurricane Irene. She is slated to hit sometime this weekend. Hopefully her path will move towards the west and out to sea instead of coming onshore in Florida, North Carolina, or Virginia. There are already evacuation warnings for parts of the Outer Banks. Luckily, we are on the same electrical grid as the hospital, so if it hits and if our power does go out we will be one of the first to get power back. Quite a few years ago during Hurricane Isabel we only lost power for 6 hours and that was mainly overnight. Still, I'm going to make sure that we have the cars fully gassed up just in case we need to go west. I'm also going to pull out some extra cash because you never know. We already have water, but it won't hurt to get a little bit more along with some non perishable items. I guess I'll have to make sure to charge up our phones, the laptops and my nook.
Sigh......did I mention August stinks???
11 comments:
It was 45 seconds long, which is pretty long for our area!! I thought I was dizzy too! That is what so many people said afterwards! See you soon! Hugs!
Shake Rattle and Roll all the way up in Newark DE too. Keep yourself dry and safe with the upcoming storm. Let's hope it turns out to sea long before it hits the mainland!
You didn't like your first earthquake. Being a California girl I'll take a earthquake any day over the hurricane your watching out for. You didn't worry over the earthquake for days and it was over soon after it started and most often life goes on.
I am sorry you are preparing for a possible hurricane. Take care.
Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches
Well it was my fourth earthquake. 3 in Washington state. But yes my weekend plans are history. Which was my birthday plans. So I am bummed. August strikes again! Really I want to have it removed from the calendar.
glad you are okay. I checked with my s-i-l in VA and she was okay too - left SEattle years ago to come back to VA so I told her she must have brought them back with her. Hope all goes well for you with Irene...
I guess many people here in the Detroit area felt it - I didn't as I was driving to physical therapy. Even if I was on solid ground, with having balance and walking issues since my surgery a couple/few months ago, I am not sure I would have noticed LOL.
Keeping you in my thoughts this weekend - sounds like you have a plan with charging, water, gas, etc!
oooo good grief .... hope it doesn't come to that .... look after yourself and watch out for flying chocolate !!!!! love mouse xxxxx
I hate storm season for this very reason. I'll say a prayer that it veers off.
And, forgot about the earthquake. The east coast is not exactly notorious for them! Glad you weathered it all right.
ia m thinking of you all so much..my sister is in maryland and she told me about it too...glad you are all alright xx
My Niece who is 2 hours away from the Outer Banks called crying. The quake really scared her. Also her and her mum are packing already getting ready to leave due to Irene. I think for most people on the east coast it was not a fun day.
Glad you are safe from the earthquake now lets get Irene headed out to sea instead. ugh! dang weather, etc. No earthquakes or hurricanes here but excessive heat again, back up into the high 115+ weather for us. Stay safe!
Post a Comment