Text & photographs have been created by me, unless otherwise acknowledged. Please ask for permission before copying or reproducing my photographs.

Monday, September 3, 2012

Laboring on Labor Day

Happy Labor Day to all!  I hope you have enjoyed the long three day weekend if you were lucky enough to have today off.

I decided to take Labor Day to heart this year and I have spent a good amount of my morning/early afternoon laboring over my sewing machine.  There were lots of grumblings and mutterings but I managed to crank this out.....

Yellow Brick Road Quilt Top
Started 8/26/12
Finished 9/3/12
 
Here's a close up so that you can see the fabric a bit better.  I mentioned it before, but just in case you missed it, I used Puttin' on the Ritz by Bunny Hill Designs and I mixed in Blueberry Crumb Cake by Blackbird Designs.  The border is Meadow by Blackbird Designs.  The backing will be a solid dark blue.  Boring, but functional.  I plan on taking it up to my LQS tomorrow to see if I can get it quilted by the middle of this month.  My sister's baby shower is on the 22nd and I want to be sure I have enough time mail the package in case I can't make it to the shower.  (Everything is dependent on when my doctor wants us to start "trying" again.)
 


I only have one concern when it comes to this quilt.  I'm not sure that my sister will appreciate the quilt or the time that it took to put it together.  Because it is my very first completed quilt top, it isn't perfect.  But, a ton of love was put into it.  And, because of all of our losses, this baby quilt was very hard for me to make.  I should have been able to make it for our little one instead of for another person's baby.  Still, I felt a very strong tug and I knew that I had to make it for my new nephew.  I just don't want to give this as a gift and then find out that it was put up in a closet and never used.  Or, worse yet, I don't want to find out that it was given to some place like the Salvation Army or Goodwill because she didn't like it.  Would it be horrible of me to put a stipulation on this gift?  I was thinking that I would tell her that if she absolutely hated it then I would take it back and get the baby something else instead.  It wouldn't hurt my feelings if she didn't like it but it would if she didn't tell me.  What do you think?


I know I love the new quilt top my Mom made.  I'd be happy to call it mine!

Now I'm off to labor over some of my cross stitch.

Happy Stitches!

8 comments:

Pat said...

Jennifer, the quilt that you made for your nephew is beautiful. If you mail it to her you could include a note about your feelings. If you attend the shower, you will know when she opens your present how she feels about it. Your blog has touched me in many ways. I will keep you in my prayers. Patty

Gracie said...

The quilt is beautiful. Once I made a quilt for a friend's baby. I put a note that told her that it is meant to be used...even on the floor and to be dragged around. She said she was glad she had permission to really use it! Maybe a note is a good idea.

cucki said...

the quilt is so beautiful..
sending you lots of love x

Natasha said...

For your first quilt top, this is beautiful!! I agree sending a note about all the love you poured into the quilt is a good idea, letting her know it is ment to be "used" I would be honored to recieve a gift like that if I was expecting. And knowing what you have been through would make it even that more special.

**HUGS** I am sure she will love it and your Nephew will enjoy it for all his years to come!

Take Care

Catherine said...

Love the quilt and love Gracie's suggestion!

Debbie said...

Dear Jennifer--I truly doubt anyone would NOT love a handmade quilt. Even my big lug of a college-age son loved the quilt I made for him one Christmas. He even brought it to me for "safe-keeping" after college, until he got a place and life where it wouldn't get "messed up" (read...safe from partying friends). You have done a great job with great love!

Sherry :o) said...

A note is a great idea. I have made quilts for each niece and nephew at great cost in love and fabric. I stressed to each they use it, love it and live with it! I also personalize each one on the back with a label or fabric marker, once I know it's "their" quilt!

I can only imagine the tough times with it being not only for someone else, but it was your first - and although "Yellow Brick Road" is an easy pattern, learning is not always easy. It looks great!

Smiles to you :0) Sherry

valerie said...

You made a beautiful quilt for your nephew! I can understand your hesitation giving it away as a gift. I think a note is a wonderful idea and the offer to get something else in case your sister doesn't like it. I'm sure she'll love it though! :)