It was really hot this weekend. Temperatures were in the upper 90's and with the humidity the heat index was well above 100 degrees on Saturday and Sunday. Hubby and I went to one estate sale Saturday morning, but it was an absolute dud. Then we headed over to a local festival celebrating Native American Indians. It may have been me, but I think the festival was smaller this year than last year. That was a good thing for us since it was way too hot to be walking around the festival grounds. Instead of staying in the heat and eating junk food we opted for our favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch. Yummy!
Saturday night was filled with "stitchy time" with my BFF. I started on a new piece where I changed up all the colors. Originally the colors were very dark and drab IMHO. So, you know I had to spruce it up a bit! I really haven't been one to experiment with colors on my own, so I'm considering this an adventure. I figure that the more I try color changes, the better I will get.
A great big THANK YOU! goes out to all of you who commented on my
Color Woes. And, just in case you were wondering, I went with the darker Ye Olde Gold instead of the lighter Queen Bee. It looks so much better! (I think I knew that while I was posting it, but I still needed some reassurance.......)

As promised, here are some better pictures of my latest finish. The pattern from Blackbird Designs and it is called
Seaside Retreat. I stitched it on 40 count Vintage Autumn Gold by Lakeside Linen. For the color I used a Limited Edition Belle Soie by Crescent Colours. Isn't it just the yummiest varigated blue? I picked it up at market last fall while while I was working in the Crescent Colours booth. I know that
The Attic in Mesa, Arizona also carries lots of Belle Soie Limited Edition silks. I believe that they they come in hanks. (Give Jean and her girls a call if you are so inclined, I'm sure that they will be happy to tell you what colors they have on hand.) I used less than two yards since each yard is 12 ply. I know the silk is on the expensive side, but if you are a 40 count stitcher, it sure does go a long way and it is well worth the price!

Many people have asked me where they can get this pattern. Well, I'm sorry to say this, but Barb & Alma have yet to publish it. They created it for a retreat that I attended in the Fall of 2009. I also have the greatest stockings that they created for this retreat. I guess I'll have to dig those out and get them started sometime soon. They always have such fabulous classes and I do wish that I could become a "Blackbird Groupie". That way I could fly around the U.S. to all of the classes that they teach. That way I would never miss one of their patterns!

Of course, we could always gang up on them and convince them to release a booklet of all their class projects. Now, wouldn't that be cool? I know that I would buy it! How about you?
Happy Stitching!
10 comments:
Beautiful finish! I heard that BBD doesn't release their retreat pieces after the fact. It's a shame if that's true. This design is lovely! I love your color combo!
This piece is just beautiful!! I would be a BBD groupie too!!! Nice!
Faye
Ooohhh! I love this one! I agree that they should release their class patterns in a book - I'd buy one for sure! Being a stay-at-home mom for three active little boys does not allow me the time or the extra money to travel to classes!!
It's beautiful! Can't wait to see how you finish it off!
Where do I sign the petition for the BBD Class Design Books ? If there is enough of us maybe they would consider it :)
I would definitely buy the book! I have just recently become a BBD fan and am loving every design i have stitched or am currently stitching. I can't wait to see what they come up with for the class in July at the Silver Needle. :)
Beautiful finish, just love the colour and design!
Beautiful finish! And I would buy the book too ~ if only for this piece, I love it!!
Thanks for the information on this beautiful sampler. I have only been to one weekend retreat of theirs and one of the projects was published in a recent book so maybe there is hope after all? It would be nice if they were to publish their class projects because there are so many fans out there that just can't attend the classes for whatever reason. I look forward to seeing your special stockings =)
I REALLY want this pattern! Love love love it! Great finish! Definitely need to get BBD to publish that!
Very pretty class piece! Hoping BBD does release this one. Of course I'd love to see the stockings! Are they seashore related as well? Hmmm, would you like me to stitch them for you! ; ) haha Thought I'd make you laugh!
Post a Comment