Text & photographs have been created by me, unless otherwise acknowledged. Please ask for permission before copying or reproducing my photographs.

Monday, June 14, 2010

Shopping, Stitching and a New Start

Whew! Where did this weekend go? Just yesterday it was Thursday and I was getting permission from the boss to play hokey on Friday! I guess that's what happens when you have fun weekends.....they just go by so fast!

First on Friday I had to decide if I was going to call out or not. I've really been good at saving all of my comp time this year and work full 40 hour weeks whenever possible. However, with nothing to do at work it is so easy to skip a day or two.  So, early in the morning I sent a text message saying "See you Monday!  Have a great weekend!".  (I'm so lucky to have such a great boss!!!) 

With that done, Hubby and I spent the morning together exploring.  I found an estate sale that ran Thursday - Saturday (they usually go Friday - Sunday in our neck of the woods), so off we went.  It was one of the better sales that we have found so far.  I found a great frame with this odd looking sand sculpture in it.  I pulled out the piece only to find that it is a thin layer of sand on plywood.  I'm not too sure about it, but I know that as much I love southwestern type stuff, this is not my cup of tea.  I think that this "sculpture" may end up the in Goodwill pile!

Saturday found us at a few more estate sales in neighboring cities.  Both of them were busts.  (It made me so happy that I found the great frame the day before!)  On the way home I remembered that the local Farmers Market was having its opening weekend at our city park so we stopped by.  We were on the late side, so much of the good stuff had already been sold, but we did manage to get a few ears of local Silver Queen Corn, a huge Zucchini, some Peaches (grown out of the area) and two Sweet Potatoes.  Oh those Peaches were good.  Nice and juicy!  Next time I will have to remember to bring my camera.....

Saturday night was spent stitching with my BFF.  I decided that I wasn't in the mood to stitch anything that was in my bag and that I needed a new start.  I think that this was fueled by my earlier purchase of the frame.  You see, I found a great stitchy piece of a desert sunset two years ago while on my honeymoon in Arizona.  I thought that this piece would fit perfectly in the frame and boy was I right.  I was going to stitch it on 36ct instead of the called for 32ct, but then I noticed that it was full of blended threads........36 would be a bust!  So, I spent much of the evening looking through BFF's Crescent Colours stash and I came up with an alternative.  Then after some discussion on the piece I decided not to start it until I went home and measured the inside frame dimensions.  Again.......BUST!  Instead I spent the rest of the evening working on my second (yes, second) Needle and Thread by LHN.  I'm almost done!

Sunday morning after some measuring, thread pulling and more measuring, I decided to dump the 36ct on my new start Desert Sunset by Fireside Originals.  Using the 32ct will work so much better.  It will be a perfect fit for the frame that I bought on Friday.  That means that all the work that I did with choosing thread color is out of the window since I'm going to go back to the original plans.  Even with the original plans, I didn't get very far with it this weekend.  My intention is to make it a surprise for my husband, so I can't work on it when he is around.

Whew!  What a weekend!  In closing, I'm going to leave you with the best find that I made all weekend.......at another local farm stand.......and boy did they taste as good as they looked!!!!

Happy Stitching!
 


6 comments:

Adele said...

Jennifer, The sand art that you found at an estate sale is very collectible in the Southwest. I often see it in New Mexico. The sand painting represents a Navajo Indian.
Addie

Denise said...

Don't you just LOVE finding frames on the cheap? I sometimes go to yardsales for mine!

Smiles - Denise

Meadows08 said...

Great frame you found! Love Needle and Thread too, such a sweet pattern.

Karen said...

love the frame. i don't like southwest designs/furniture anything like that (and i live in AZ). LOL
I still have to finish up my fob for needle and thread and get the pillow bed to make the wholething up.

Sherry :o) said...

love the strawberries...and love the start on your new piece...the color is beautiful! Good luck stitching on it in secret...

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:
You found a sandpainting of a Yeibeche. It is Navajo. It is very collectable so if you ever do ebay or craigslist you might want to try and sell it there. Just a suggestion.