Text & photographs have been created by me, unless otherwise acknowledged. Please ask for permission before copying or reproducing my photographs.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

I Finished It

Seriously, I really did finish it.  This deserves a happy dance of epic proportions!  After all, it is my first real and unassisted finish.  What is "it" you ask?

Well, "it" is actually a two fold finish.  First I finished stitching Bird in Hand by Blackbird Designs.  Then I dug through some older posts on the Blackbird Designs blog and printed out Alma's great tutorial on Covered Boxes Part One and Part Two.  I headed out to my local quilt shop and picked up some fabric that was a perfect match for my design.  (Of course, you know I bought an extra fat quarter just for my stash, just in case!)  Believe it or not, hubby helped too.  Who knew he would enjoy the quilt shop?  (More on the quilt shop in another post.......)  We also ran by Michael's and picked up a cardboard box, a sheet of scrap booking paper and some coordinating DMC.

Sunday morning I set myself to work and in a short time I had this:

"Bird in Hand" by Blackbird Designs
Stitched on 40ct Vintage Light Examplar by Lakeside Linen
using Belle Soie's "Sister Scarlet"

With a little more time and effort I turned my covered box into this:


Now, this being my first attempt, I have learned some valuable lessons for the next time.  But all in all, I thought is was worthy enough to send off to my 100th Post Giveaway Winner, Jennifer of Feathers in the Nest.  It was very, very, very tempting to just keep this one for myself.  After all, we have the same initial and no one would ever know.........bwaaa ha ha ha!

But, since it is better to give than to receive, I put it in the box that I sent to Jennifer.  Can't you see it in there? Look just below the "B" in Beauty and you can see one of the corners.



 
This was really lots of fun.  Now that I feel better about some of my finishing I am looking forward to many more giveaways and exchanges!
 
Happy Stitching!

14 comments:

Paula C. said...

What a wonderful package! It's a gift inside a gift inside a gift, lol! It's the perfect way to spoil someone and very nice of you to do it too!

Sweet Sue said...

Such a pretty and fine finish:)

Jennifer Ann Fox said...

I'm still drooling over this beautiful box!!!

Your pics are great of it too.
I am very spoiled now.....

Jennifer

Catherine said...

Very generous and beautiful give away!!

Faye said...

Absolutely beautiful~~ From one Jennifer to the other, Congrats to you both~~ Faye

Karen said...

OMG....you have more resolve than me! That box would still be with me...I'm sure Jennifer will love it. I love the colors you chose. Great job finishing.

Anonymous said...

Oh my word, I love it so much! You did such a fabulous job!!

Karen said...

Great job Jen! That was a perfect finish for a beautifully stitched piece (i got to see it in person at the Attic here in AZ). I might have to try this covered box finish,looks pretty simple to do. :)

Carol said...

Wow--your box is amazing! I just love it and I'm sure Jennifer will treasure it :)

Hillery said...

What a great idea. I love the box. Just gorgeous.

Kelly said...

You are inspiring. Great finish!

Deb said...

I saw this on Jennifer's blog and was just drooling. You did a wonderful job on this piece and I know that Jennifer is over the moon for receiving it! You do beautiful work.

My Life In Stitches said...

Great job! You have mucho talent.

Sherry :o) said...

Beautiful...finishing can be so intimidating! Love the BBD design. Jennifer is truly lucky on this win! Keep up the great work - new follower to your blog - very nice blog and I will be back!!