Text & photographs have been created by me, unless otherwise acknowledged. Please ask for permission before copying or reproducing my photographs.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Generosity....Stash Enhancement Style

"Generosity lies less in giving much than in giving at the right moment."  Jean De La Bruyère (1645–1696)
Lately I've had a wild hair.  I've decided that I want to collect all of the Loose Feathers patterns.  Now, this isn't a huge task since I joined Loose Feathers the instant that I knew of its existence.  So, I'm set on the last half of the patterns in this series.  However, as you all probably know, the Loose Feathers patterns become OOP (out of print) after one year and then you can only get them on the secondary market unless you are lucky enough to find them in the back corner of a stitchy store.  It has been a bear to find the older patterns.  They are quite elusive and quite expensive!


OOP Loose Feathers #6 and #12 purchased on eBay
 I've become a stalker on the Bay of Evil, better known to most as eBay.  Earlier this month I was lucky enough to pick up two of the OOP Loose Feathers that I am missing.  And, I didn't have to break the bank for them either!  Honestly, I don't think that the seller knew what he/she had.  Either that, or he/she didn't care.

Of course, I'm not the only one looking for hard to find or OOP charts.  I was over at G8dame's Place recently and I was reading a post where she asked what pattern was our current obsession.  Well, I made a comment about how I was on the lookout for older Loose Feathers charts. 

Here's where the generosity part comes in.  I got a lovely email from Robin (no blog) saying that she read my comment and that she thought she had a couple of the patterns that I was looking for and did I want them.  Did I want them???  YOU BETCHA!!! 

A couple of days later and this arrived in the mail........


I was so excited when I opened my mailbox to find the envelopes containing these little goodies.  What makes it even more special is that I have been specifically looking for Quaker Garden.  I had just bid and lost on an eBay auction for that exact pattern earlier that day.  I must have done the happy dance a dozen times after I opened the envelopes!  I went straight to my desk and pulled out a card to send Robin a big THANK YOU!!!  My thank you is not over either......so if you are reading this dear Robin, I have a surprise in store for you.  (Unfortunately, you may have to wait until tax season is over since my time is limited from late January to early April.....but don't worry, I won't forget your generosity!) 

Happy Stitching!

17 comments:

CalamityJr said...

Yes, maam - our stitchy friends are the best! Glad you were able to get more of your wish list.

Anna van Schurman said...

Try the Silver Needle if you haven't already. They have a lot of these in the "back corner." Good luck with your obsession.

Anonymous said...

Quaker Garden!!!!!!! Oh my gosh, lucky you. Joining in here into your happy dance :)
What a wonderful gift. Good on you that you found 2 more on Ebay :)
You have no idea how much I was looking all over for the Quaker one.
But I gave up on couple of patterns. I spent already a fortune on OOP patterns and have to put in a break to keep my marriage healthy...lol.
Anyway, good on you that you got hold on these wonderful patterns.

Jennifer Ann Fox said...

They are pretty, very pretty. I watch Ebay too and have seen very fluctuating prices in the Loose Feathers series. Some prices were quite ridiculous and again some not bad at all....so I don't know there but it's fun to watch Ebay samplers. May have to pop over there........

Jennifer

Diana said...

You sure were lucky to get Quaker Garden! I have been looking for that one, too. What a nice stitching friend to send it to you.

Angela S. said...

Hi Jennifer! I noticed on ebay if you search by just "loose feathers" and not "blackbird designs loose feathers" alot more come up. Of course, you have to look through the listings of actual feathers but some were as cheap as $9 on buy it now. Post a list of what you need, alot of us have a bunch we have already stitched.I need #1-good luck to me huh??:)Happy Hunting!

Natasha said...

Stitching friends are awesome are'nt they? I had Quaker Garden and passed it on to another stitcher when I was finished, for the generosity she showed to me.

I loved stitching Quaker Garden and I am sure you will as well. It's a lovely design

Take Care and Happy Stitching!!

Karen said...

ooh, how lucky are you?! i just started on Quaker Garden for my 15th crazy challenge piece.

Melanie said...

That's awesome!!! Congrats on your 'finds'. :)

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet of Robin! You lucky girl!!

I have been trying to get "Summer House" for ages, and you're right, they are very expensive on the secondary market!!

Happy Stitchin'
Terri

Berit said...

Awesome! Stitchers are the nicest people! :D

Myra said...

That is just fabulous Jennifer! I am so happy for you as I know what it is like to "stalk" a certain elusive pattern. I have been trying for Beneath the Sunlit Sky and keep getting outbid on it. Not that I want to stitch it right now or anything but just because I do someday. Ahhh, have of the fun is in the pursuit. :o) Stitchers are just the best!

Mrs Dibble said...

Oh Jennifer - love this blog - you have an Australian Cousin - the Crafty Princess - she is a serial starter as well - and I have to admit I am a bit that way inclined also- but the advantage is, that eventually you finish a whole heap of projects all at once - just happened to me - FINISHED 3 AT ONCE!! WAHOO

Blu said...

Aren't stitchy friends the greatest?

Crystal said...

Wow lucky you, and so very kind of Robin to share, stitchy friends are the best.

Robin in Virginia said...

You are very welcome, Jennifer! I am just thrilled that I could remove a couple from your wishlist!

Sue said...

I always love to hear about how generous people can be :)