Text & photographs have been created by me, unless otherwise acknowledged. Please ask for permission before copying or reproducing my photographs.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Slow Beginnings

Things are slowly beginning for Hubby this week. He seems to be more himself day by day. Yesterday my (step-) "Dad" called him and invited him to play golf later in the week. (I'm so grateful to my "Dad".....he has really been there for me and now he is there for hubby. Hubby is even going to get a round on "Dad"!)

Hubby also got a call from a very upscale restaurant and he has an interview today at 3:30pm. (Please send good thoughts out!) This is HUGE since this restaurant actually has a waiting list of people trying to get an interview. Sometimes it is not 'what you know', but 'who you know' as my Dad (biological) can attest to. I am grateful that my Dad was able to help Hubby with this. This interview opportunity has been a big boost to Hubby's self esteem this week. (I just hope that he isn't let down if he doesn't get a job. I can't take that right now!)

There have been a few more opportunities that have opened up as well. Thank goodness for Craig's List! We have both been scouring the ads there and have come up with a couple of good opportunities. Hubby even went to apply for one of them yesterday.

As for me, it seems that I am off to a slow beginning as well. "February" has been a little rougher than I expected, so I'm off track by about a day or so. If you know me and you look closely, you can see why I'm slowing down......


Do you see that ? The white stuff there on the top and on the sides? That is what is slowing me down......a Q-Snap! Now, don't let me fool you. Over two years ago, I thought that Q-Snaps were the "bomb diggity". I still think that they are, but I find it much easier to stitch in hand now that I have learned the sewing method. So, my Q-Snaps were lovingly stored away in the stitching closet. Until yesterday........

You see, I'm stitching this model using 30ct Weeks Dye Works fabric. (I don't know the color). I love the colors that WDW produces, I just don't like the 30ct fabric. IMHO, it is too "wonky", for lack of a better word. I love a soft fabric like Lakeside Linen, but this is just too soft. It moves around way too much and it makes stitching hard. (I guess I should admit this too, but I would much rather stitch on the smaller counts instead. However, I'm not a stitching snob, I will stitch on any count that I can get my hands on as evidenced here....)

I was given a hint on how to help with this "wonky" problem.......Sizing. Ever heard of it? Supposedly, it is in the laundry aisle next to the starch. I've been looking for it, but I can't find it. The lady working in that aisle in Farm Fresh knew what I was talking about, but they didn't have any. I'm wondering, have you used this and if so, did it work and wherever did you find it? I would really like to get back to my sewing method and ditch these Q-Snaps!
Happy Stitching!

P.S. Thank you all for your lovely comments, thoughts and prayers. They all mean so much to me. I think that as stitchers we are a lucky bunch. We have a great group of friends and support for one another. I love you all!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your DH that the interview goes well.

Love the colors for the LHN monthly bits. I can't wait to stitch up mine. :)

Catherine said...

Sizing........have you tried a Walmart or Target? Or perhaps even a fabric store?

Unknown said...

Sizing is similar to spray starch, but lighter (not stiff). When you purchase clothes from the store and they hang so nicely and then you wash them and they go limp, wrinkly or otherwise "wonky" -- you have washed out the sizing. Look for it near the spray starch in the laundry aisle. Magic Sizing is one of the brand names.

http://joiedebayou.blogspot.com/

Faye said...

Good Luck to DH today! And I for one go through spirts with my Q-snaps...right now I am using mine... but then again I prefer 36/40ct....And yes, I did use the specified overdyes on the Quaker Harmony design....Hope I have enough of one of the greens....If not, I will have to wing it!~ Keep up the great work! Faye

jayne@~an eye for threads~ said...

I love your title and I do believe that we are kindred starters,,,I just may be the second in that line. Wondering if you can punch/stab with 2 hands because the Q snap would work well but some are able to do the sewing method while the fabric is in the snap also. There are some times when p/s is more productive for a desired look. Unfortunatly, but I am sure you will figure it out. February looks fun so far.

Be always in stitches.